Will the NDIS affect my brother or sister’s pension or wages?

The NDIS is not means tested. It does not affect the Disability Support Pension, Carer’s Allowance, or employment income. At the end of a Plan meeting people are asked certain demographic questions (including income), but it is for data/statistical purposes only.

How will my brother or sister transition from current disability supports to NDIS?

People currently receiving disability support should receive information about the NDIS from their current provider. Your brother or sister will be asked to complete a consent form to agree to the NDIA contacting them directly. Once the NDIA receives it, they will contact your brother or sister about a month before they are due to enter the NDIS (see Roll Out schedule) and ask for information about their current supports. You can be nominated as a contact person for your brother or sister.

Your brother or sister’s current supports will continue until their NDIS plan is agreed. They can choose to stay with their current support arrangements if they are happy with them, or choose a new provider or range of service providers.

Ask any of the providers who support your brother or sister what their NDIS process is and whether they have the consent forms. Every agency should be telling clients about the NDIS as everyone who is eligible will need to transition to the NDIS at some stage. You can also call the NDIA directly and ask for the Access Request Form. If an agency does not provide information about the NDIS you can report them to the NDIS.

What if my brother or sister receives disability support now but is not eligible for the NDIS?

All Australian Governments have agreed people who currently receive disability supports but who are not eligible for the NDIS will still receive the same level of support they currently have. This is called ‘Continuity of Support’ LINK. For example, your brother or sister might access supports through the ILC LINK, which is part of the NDIS, or the health system or other appropriate community services.

This may also apply to people over 65 years who do not meet the NDIS’s access requirements.

The NDIA is currently finalising arrangements with state governments on how these arrangements will be put in place. Click here for more information. 

What will happen to people living in an accommodation services under the NDIS?

The NDIA will aim to transition all residents in an accommodation service to the NDIS at the same time. If a resident does not meet NDIS eligibility, they will be offered continuity of support, so they will remain in their current living arrangements if they choose to do so.
Click here for more information. 

How do you appeal an NDIS decision?

If you think the NDIS has made the wrong decision about your brother or sister being accepted into the NDIS, or about what supports are being provided under the NDIS, you can apply for an internal review of a decision. You may believe the funding is not enough. Any person directly affected by the decision can apply. This needs to be done within three months of the decision made by the NDIS. Click here for more information. 

If you are still not happy after the internal review you can apply for a review by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT). An application for an AAT review must be made within 28 days, but extensions can be granted. Organisations in each state and territory have been funded to assist with NDIS external appeals. These organisations can provide:
access to a skilled advocate who acts as a support person, and access to legal services – where a case raises complex or novel legal issues. Click here for more information. 

What can I do now?

  • Set up a MYGOV account for your sibling.
  • Have a brief conversation about the NDIS.
  • Start jotting down ideas in a notebook or Word document.
  • Keep receipts for services or products your brother or sister currently uses as it will assist in NDIS discussions about their funding requirements.
  • Dream and imagine better.